The Brisbane suburb of Tarragindi was first known as Sandy Creek. Robert Cribb of Cribb & Foote Ipswich, received several portions of land under Deed of Grant in 1861. 65 acres were given to grand-daughter Mary on her marriage to WD Grimes in 1890. Their home “Tarragindi” was erected on the southern corner of Tarragindi Rd and Andrew Ave.
The name Tarragindi originated from Tarra Tassorini – a South Sea Islander and employee of the Grimes. Tarra’s place -Gindi means Place – therefore Tarragindi.
Tarragindi Bowls Club was established in November 1944. The Property, 3 and 1/4 acres, part of the aforesaid land, was purchased from the then owner, Albert Oates for $150 plus a strip of land for $100 to gain access to Andrew Avenue. Much gratitude is owed to Mr Mathews of Mathews Real Estate opposite Chardons Hotel who was able to sponsor this purchase.
The foundation Treasurer was TA Hiley, later to become Sir Thomas Hiley, Treasurer of Queensland.
The first green was put into service in May, 1946, the opening ceremony being performed by the Lieutenant-Governor, The Hon. Frank Cooper MLA. The clubhouse, at the time, consisted of 2 ex-USA Army huts. The 2nd green was placed in service in December 1947. Membership numbered 158 with playing days Wednesdays and Saturdays. The TBC Ladies was established in 1949.
The current clubhouse opened in 1956 at a cost of 12,858 pounds.
As can be seen in RQBA Honours Lists the years 1959,1978 and 1979 were very impressive playing years for members of Tarragindi. In 1961 the late Vic O’Brien won the Australian Singles Championship. The Club won the First Division Metropolitan Pennant in 1978. The Club in 1978 also hosted the first Test Match between Australia and New Zealand. In 1994 the Club celebrated its Golden Jubilee year, during which it coducted a very successful Golden jubilee Carnival’ an open pairs event which attracted a field of the best Qld Bowlers. Prize money was $4700.
In 2020 construction shall begin on our new club.
The new bowls club will feature a new, 10-rink championship-quality, synthetic bowling green, co-located with the retirement community, as well as a clubhouse and café. When constructed, the new retirement community will include 94 independent living apartments, with underground parking.
The co-location of the club with the new retirement community provides a convenient recreational and social option for our future residents and the Tarragindi community.